Wednesday, December 28, 2005

After The Storm Has Passed...

Light behind the clouds In the month of December, the rains usually beat down not only in the east coast where the north east monsoon hits but also here in the city. December is also a month where I pull out my comforter & extra fleece to feel all warm & cozy. Somehow, the Yuletide season brings forth that fuzzy feeling where everything feels like winter & hot chocolate is the order of the day. As moths & such seek refuge in my humble abode, I sit on my futon sofa, snuggled up in my leopard print fleece to read the book of Ruth in the Bible. I have never been a fiction reader. I preferred factual & informative scientific books. What a nerd, no wonder I need glasses now. My second older sister used to summarise the stories from Sydney Sheldon, John Grisham & the likes of them to me once she finished with them & I would look forward to the times when she tells them, the way she seems to bring the stories alive with her intonation & the suspense of the drama & the build up to the finale’. As an appreciative audience, I would leave her to her novels once I soak in her presence long enough not to irritate her but to let her know that she would be missed when I leave her alone to read. Sometimes I get impatient & pester her for the excerpt but she always manages to keep the suspense by giving me teasers & trailers. The book of Ruth is a wonderful love story of the loyalty of a widow towards her mother-in-law that led her to find favour with the man whom she eventually marries. When Naomi’s husband & two sons died, she released her two daughters-in-law to find their way back to their homeland but while one did, Ruth chose to remain, eats what Naomi eats, live where she lives & serve the God whom she served. She was determined to continue the journey with her to Bethlehem. Ruth chose to be an alien & endured the resistance of the locals when she could have been well accepted in her own homeland. Aren’t we all here to find favour with each other? What good would I be if I were not of any use to my friends? What good of a friend would I be, if I fail to listen…? What good would I be if I don’t know how to make others happy? I would never have imagined that my life would be lived like how the novels presented them. I’m no Ruth but I sure would like to fall in love the way she did…! The reason why my sister enjoys novels & why I like to watch love stories is to be lost in the sea of emotions that encompass me, something we don’t really get in real life. Even in the bleakest of moments, when the storm passes, the rays that break through the clouds always remind me of God’s presence as I watch Him project the silver lining…..

Get Firefox!