Friday, November 25, 2005

Austrian Food at Karl Beisl's

Curried pumpkin soup with Austrian white wine I was invited to a food tasting at Karl Beisl’s by Andrew of one of our local dailies & when we arrived, two reporters from another daily have already started with dinner! The war of the universe has begun & yours truly was in the line of fire when the offensive party knows not that I do not work for their adversary. When the food arrived, they clamoured for the photo opportunity, leaving no room for Andrew or me to shoot. Getting a feel of a territorial war, I began to sympathise with Andrew. Seated next to the enemy, I had been the butt of their insinuations of our purported lateness. I replied, “Oh, were you told to come earlier then? Hmmm….wonder why we were told to come at eight. Maybe they think we shouldn’t eat that much.” When I had the chance, I whispered to Andrew, “Oi, Uncle, I feel like I’m treading in enemy waters, what have you done to them? She’s really sarcastic! Is this what you do in the reporting business???” “Dunno lah, Auntie, they are all like that. Just enjoy your food & don’t give them room to attack you.” Ok, our mode of operation became a story telling session. I couldn’t eat most of the dishes due to my allergy but we had lots of fun sampling other non-pork dishes & sharing backpacking tales. After losing 4.5kg in 5 weeks, I didn’t think the pumpkin soup, salad & salmon steak would do anything to jeopardise my weight management program. My pants fit & I don’t wobble when I walk. That’s all that matters. Pork Jelly Salad - I can't touch this. Pork Knuckle with Bratwurst.....can't touch this at all Salmon Salad! Yummy! Chef Karl Beisl with Roasted Suckling Pig.....I can't touch this. I'm allergic to pork. Another Pork Dish... can't touch this either Osso Bucco Lamb Shank with Pasta - I'm allergic to lamb too. Ah, finally my Salmon Steak with Spinach & Mashed Potatoes!!!

Get Firefox!