Monday, January 17, 2005

My HF Leader Washed My Feet

I was told to bring a towel & not wear socks to my regular Friday nights' FatManShip (FeiLoShip) at Dr. Ng's house. To have been planted there is another story altogether but the usual cheerful mood that enveloped the place was somehow, not there last Friday. The turnout was less than usual too. At best, we would have about 36 members but on that day, there were only half. Uncle Michael, our Bethel Home Fellowship leader, is a general surgeon. He has a son & 2 daughters about my age. Auntie Lisa, his wife, would tell us of how she gets upset with him, goes out & buys jewellery! The value of the jewellery she buys, goes up with her mood too. What a trick to learn..... We got on with praise & worship at the beginning & then a period of intercession followed by this 'act' that was performed by Jesus to His twelve disciples, even to Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Him. When Jesus was about to wash Peter's feet, Peter objected & Jesus answered him, "unless I wash you, you have no part in Me." Having stated this, Uncle Michael took on the bucket of water together with his wife, Auntie Lisa, & invited the first couple to have their feet washed in humility. As I witnessed this remarkable event, I thought about how Jesus felt, tears just flowed while I awaited my turn after the deputy leaders. I wasn't the only one moved to tears. The men were humbled by this simple yet astounding act of washing the 'servants'' feet. Never would they have imagined that a man of stature & standard would stoop to wash his charges' feet let alone a man many years our senior. My turn came & Auntie Lisa washed my feet. I am truly blessed. Immediately, I understood how our Lord Jesus Christ came in to the world as a humble servant in that He, as Lord & Teacher, have washed His disciples' feet, so we ought to wash one anothers' feet. Never have great men in history been reported to act in this humbling manner as Jesus has. Truly, truly, blessed are those who walk in His ways.

Get Firefox!